May 30, 2013

DIY Scratch Reward Cards- How to encourage the homeschool preschool)

Assalamualaikum...


I have tried many things to get the kiddos encouraged to work hard in their school work. It’s not so much that I need to encourage them to learn – they love to do that – but the main problem is getting done in a timely manner. Let’s just say that if my kids could do school 24 hours a day 7 days a week – they would be happy. However, Mom needs a little break – and so do they, really – so I am trying to find ways to encourage them to do their work well – but in a timely manner.

Because of changing rules and expectations that getting done in a timely manner with 3 kids was next to impossible. This year, however, we have changed to a different virtual school and things are much more relaxed, Alhamdulilah. Unfortunately, one of the kiddos especially, is still reeling from last year’s heavy load and has no motivation to get things done (ever) in a timely manner.

I don’t know if everyone goes through this – although my experiences with other homeschooling families tells me it can be common – but some times they just need a little excitement or enticement to get through a day of schooling. So, I find the searched lately for awesomeness ideas -

This is what I came up with:

Reward Scratch Cards!

WHAT YOU NEED:


1.card stock paper – You can draw your own design or do it in PowerPoint

2.metallic oil crayon 
3.Scissors
4.Glue


Cut out the cards.

Happy face because he got the reward card. Alhamdulillah proud of you Muadz

Color over an area on the contact paper to cover the words(we use crayons) of the reward message. 

The excitement in the room built as I was making these – I even had kids arguing over who would scratch off my sample cards for these pictures.

So, how am I going to use these cards?

I ended up making 25 cards – and I intend to reward them a card a day (unless no one deserves a reward).  I intend to reward one person each day for (1) finishing school work on time (no later than 5pm) (2) who exhibits best behavior (no fighting or arguing) (3) who is helpful around the house – and especially who picks up after themselves (we’ve had issues with this, believe me!)

Each card (for the most part) has a different reward listed.  I made up most of the rewards based on things the kids like to do – and also asked them for their input.  What are some of the rewards?

1.  Jump on the trampoline. 
2.  Solat all together

3.  Make doughnut together with mommy

4.  You need to wash the dishes

5.  Let's go playground
6.  Look after Lil' Hamzah(youngest brother)


The rewards are mostly for things they enjoy – and also for spending more quality time with Mom and Dad – I think that’s a great incentive for my kids.  Now, even though our days are busy – I can find more time to do rewards like these when everyone is doing their best to get things done in a more timely manner – it takes off a huge load from Mom.  Also, many of these activities use tools we already have on hand – but they “forget” about them sometimes. 

InshaAllah – this inspires you and your family to find other ways to encourage your child.  It’s not always easy – and sometimes we need to change things up a bit.  For now, we are going to try this and see how it works, inshaAllah.  If you choose to do this – please let us know – if you blog about it – let me know and I will link to your post.  I’d love to see what others come up with, inshaAllah. I came across this link. MasyaALLAH really work for me. How about you?




Teacher Nanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ada sebarang pertanyaan? Please ask in the comments or tweet me, feel free to follow my twitter @teachnanie and instagram @teachnanie, inshaALLAH I’ll try to answer it. Thanks